Wednesday, August 18, 2010

BEDA Dix-Huit...Nineties Nostalgia


You know what I miss?  Old Nickelodeon shows.  You know the ones.  Legends of the Hidden Temple was probably my favorite with Keenan and Kel and All That tied for a close second.  I read this article this evening, and got super nostalgic for my childhood after-school television watching experience.  90s TV, where did you go, and why have you been replaced with iCarly and Hannah Montana?!!  By the way, my mind was sufficiently blown when I discovered Marc Summers, who hosts "Unwrapped" on The Food Network (which I've seen far too many episodes of because it comes on right after Rachel Ray in the evenings and my roommate and I in Charlotte would always watch RR while making dinner), was actually the host of Double Dare.  And, when you think about the fact that he was OCD that whole time, it's kind of amazing that he was able to deal with all that slime.  But seriously...mind = blown on that count. 

But in all seriousness, I miss that good 90s television.  So much.  On summer days, I usually turn on ABC Family (you already know how obsessed I am with their current original programming...if you're not, see this post) just to catch the 2 daily episodes of Full House.  Fun fact: I've seen ever episode at least 3 times now.  Why do you think I love Make it or Break it so much?  (Hint: a lot of it has to do with Candace Cameron Bure.)  Speaking of which...last night's episode!!  And the teaser for next week!  Dying...  Also, I think they're handling Kaylie's eating disorder incredibly realistically, and I'm really glad they put the PSA about ED's at the end of the episode, as well as having links to NEDA all over the site.  It really is heartbreaking though.  And I've totally been in Austin's position before...watching a friend hurting herself, trying to talk to her about it, and feeling powerless because there's only so much power you have.  Until she decides she wants to admit she has a problem and wants to get better, there's only so much you can do as a concerned friend.  It's tough business, so I'm really happy ABC Family has chosen to feature it in a realistic way on the show, as heartbreaking as it is to watch it happen, even to a fictional character.

Mooooving on...tomorrow night, after I teach, my mom and I are going to Chicago to see Billy Elliot, the musical, and I am SUPER stoked about it.  These tickets were my mom's birthday present to me, so I've been waiting a while.  AHH can't wait!!! 

I asked my twitter followers for good blogging topics, as I am completely out of creativity, steam, as well as brain dead and all I got (from two of my dearest IUBT friends) was "twix bars," "racism," "sex before marriage," "Why men have the upper hand in controlling a relationship..or kittens," and "how different Chinese food is in America compared to China."  Um...yeah, thanks, Alex and Jordan, but no dice.  Cannot wait to see the two of them in 8 days though!!  But I am starting to have that pre-semester dread of schoolwork creeping up in the back of my head.  Like, I love my school (and I actually really love school, in general, too), but the thought of writing papers and getting back into that whole swing of things has me anxious, per usual.  Trying not to think about it, though, and just trying to enjoy my last week at home.  I really will miss it when I leave, despite my intense boredom....sometimes the solitude is nice. 

Alrighty, I'm out of steam for the evening, so I'll leave you now, my beauties.  Sweet dreams, dear blog readers.  Love, me

Currently stuck in my head: "Love the Way You Lie" by Eminem featuring Rhianna. It was seriously on, like, 3 radio stations at the same time today.  I really liked it when it was first released, but it's getting to that ohmygodi'mgoingtokilltheradioican'thearitagain stage, and that sucks.  I hate when things are overplayed.  UGHHHHH!  The video is exquisite, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment